Monday, July 16, 2012

I made it through the wilderness!

I SURVIVED!  Between you and me, I quite enjoyed my first camping experience.  I worried all that time for nothing.  Our campsite was beautifully located on the lake making it convenient for kayaking, canoeing, and plenty of swimming.  Luckily, we didn't experience any rain that amounted to anything - just a few sprinkles here and there.


After setting up camp, (not as easy as one may think), we headed out on the water.  I immediately chose the kayak as I have had experience various times in the past.  Kayaking on the lake is much more relaxing than ocean kayaking, but I'll save that story for another day.  We spent a good amount of time out on the water while stopping to swim along the way.  The best part of it was spending time with my best friend and "sister" Morgan!  We ended up simply floating around with our feet in the water for quite some time just catching up and chatting. 


After returning to camp, we had a slight scare from nearby thunder and lightning.  We dramatically and hurriedly crammed everything we brought, including ourselves, into the largest tent, which happened to be the tent I would sleep in.  The rain passed within a few short minutes.

 

 Waiting out the rain in the tent...luckily it only sprinkled for a few minutes.

 The view from my bed



  Calm after the storm...

 Our Illustrious and Fearless Leader

Our youth leader and one of my very best friends, Mackenzie, did an absolutely wonderful job planning and preparing for this trip.  Of course she had to deal with all of my pre-camping drama and worry, but we both survived, and for that I am eternally grateful!


Tyler, along with others worked tirelessly to keep the camp fire going.  We had plenty of s'mores - always a delicious treat!  To our surprise and delight, we spotted a friend up in the tree...

 "Hooty-hoo"

To my surprise, I slept through the night.  Granted, I was sleeping on an air-mattress.  Some may consider this a cop-out, but this is the way I look at it - why be miserable when you don't have to be?  The sound of the crickets chirping and the water lapping against the beach was quite relaxing.
 Beautiful morning...

The gang!

I can truthfully say that a fun time was had by all!  Next time, we will stay more than one night.  Baby steps though.  I believe it is in these moments that God speaks to us.  Experiencing the beauty of His creation does something for the soul.  These types of trips, filled with nature, always seem to "recharge my batteries."  I can't wait for our next camping adventure!

peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment