Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Kickin' Chicken

Today has been an odd day to say the least.

My morning started out fairly routinely with my morning bowl of Special K.  I was a bit sluggish, but to no surprise as I'm by no means your typical "morning person."  Things began to change quickly after I headed off to work with my father for the day.

As we were working, I noticed a little girl playing next door.  Her actions seemed, well, a little odd.  Then I realized she was playing with a chicken.  Yes, a chicken.  She would chase this ugly bird all over the yard.  She would continue to scoop up the chicken and put it on her head.  Yes, her head.  I have to admit that this served as my entertainment for a solid ten minutes.

I thought the actions of the child to be a bit strange, but after thinking about the region in which we live, I came to the conclusion that it was not so odd after all.  Dad and I continued to work.  Next thing I know, the child was standing beside me with.....BAHHHH....the chicken in my face!!!  Talk about jumping out of your skin - the combination of being startled and having a chicken shoved in your face.  The small girl continued to ask me if I would like to hold her pet chicken.  "Uh, no thank you!" I replied, "Not really my cup of tea."

Then I got a call from a local elementary school asking if I could "babysit" during their parent night this evening.  Sure, I think - this would be good experience for the future.  All I can say is 33 children crammed in one tiny Art room.

Moral of the story:  It's amazing what you will let children do to you simply so they will be entertained.

At one point, I was trying to feed one child his dinner, while comforting three screaming children, one of which is on top of my head, another biting my ankles, and one begging for a piggy-back ride.  Some may call me crazy, but I still long to be an elementary teacher.  I will be going back for parent night round 2 on Thursday.  Wish me luck!

That's all for now...
peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment